Do you want to know how to cook Nsala soup with chicken? This is very good because we will give you one simple recipe. Follow these steps and satisfy the appetite of your family and guests. Read on.
African dishes are very popular for their ingenious and delicious taste. One of such dishes is Ofe Nsala, it’s also known as Afia Efere. If you translate this name literally, you get white soup. Why is it so? This Nigerian soup doesn’t have any coloring ingredients as tomatoes. Although most of the Nigerian dishes contain exactly such products. In fact, this African food belongs to Igbo dishes. However, Efik nation cook Ofe Nsla according to their own recipe. We can improvise and make it as we want. But today we would like to give recipe how to cook Nsala soup with chicken. We are sure you will be surprised.
READ ALSO: How to make white soup with goat meat?
How to prepare white soup
This is one of the most popular Nigerian soups. In general, this recipe takes a little time. The longest part of this process is cooking the chicken. Sometimes, Nigerians use goat meat. It depends on your own preferences.
Well, to cook Nigerian Ofe Nsala, you need the following ingredients:
- Firstly, take 8 pieces of chicken
- Then - 1 smoked fish of medium size
- You need also a dried pepper
- 1 tsp. of Uziza seeds
- Then take two pieces of uda
- 1 tbsp. of ground crawfish
- 2 tbsp. of pounded yam or yam flour
- The next ingredient you will need is Uziza leaf
- Salt to taste
When you have all the necessary ingredients, you can start your cooking. This is even easier than you can think. Just follow the next steps:
- At first, wash chicken carefully, then stew it with salt and pepper. Then take yam and add it. Cook it and when it’s soft, remove the slices of yam and pound them till it forms a smooth paste.
- You need to take spices, smoked fish, crawfish and add these ingredients into the pot containing the chicken. At this stage you can check the amount of pepper and seasonings.
- Add the pounded yam paste into pot with the rest of the ingredients, then cook it to get necessary consistence of your Ofe Nsala. If you cannot pound the yam, you can just mash it till it forms a thick paste.
- Well, our dish is almost ready! Just a little more patience. There is last but one step: take Uziza leaf and add it. Finally, cook it for several minutes. It can take about 3-4 minutes.
As you can see this recipe is very simple and easy. You don’t need to spend a lot of time to cook it. Of course, you can add some other ingredients.
READ ALSO: How to prepare white soup with assorted meat